Home Security Systems and Tips
Learn how various home security systems work and how to maintain a secure home. Good home security allows you to enjoy your house and relax.
There are plenty of ways that you can protect your home from being targeted for crime. Read some of our tips for a few ideas.
- Always lock the door and close the windows when you go out, even if you’ll only be out for a short time
- Always lock your front door. External doors that have 3 locking points will add considerable strength to your door
- Window locks on older windows and windows without double glazing can help to stop people getting in
- Use deadlocks if you have them – they make it harder for thieves to get out again
- If you are thinking of PVC or metal framed doors/windows, make sure they come with good built in locks and a fitted chain, This process can be expensive to add later as an afterthought.
- Patio doorsInstall special locks fitted to the top and bottom of your patio doors
- Leaving spare keys outside or in a garage or shed. Keep garden sheds and garages locked and think about using a battery-operated alarm
- Keep car and garage keys out of sight in the house
- Don’t leave window and door keys in their locks
- Always draw your curtains at night and make sure valuable items cannot be easily seen from outside
Home Security – 3 Fast Steps to Burglar Proof Your Home Today!
Sometimes the best home security is implemented when you are the one making the assessment and any corrective action- a do it yourself home security plan.
Here are home security tips to think about that will definitely discourage or flat out stop a potential intruder from entering your house. It is not an all inclusive list but one that if followed will certainly go a long way toward making your home more secure.
- Take a critical look at your house from the outside. Is your house well lit? Are there hiding places near doors and windows? If you can spot a potential weakness in your home’s “look” you can bet a professional burglar can exploit it. Remember that light is a burglars’ enemy-darkness a friend.
- What could slow down a burglar from entering your home? Simple home security devices such as locks on doors(deadbolts are best) and windows, bars, grates-items that are visible from the exterior of the house will not only act as a deterrent but slow down an intruder should he decide to try to enter. The more time it takes to break into a home, the more discouraged a burglar will become. Time is the enemy of the burglar.
- How noisy can you make it if someone gains entry? Noise is also the enemy of the burglar. There are many home security alarms activated by doors or windows opening or by motion. The sound of a barking dog, real or recorded, are very effective and will scare most burglars away.
Lights, noise and time-they are the three biggest enemies of an intruder. If you implement these home security tips to fortify your house you may well avoid a lot of potential break-ins. But there are some other things that will help as well.
- Move valuables away from outside view. Don’t risk tempting someone. Consider putting small valuables in Diversion Safes.
- Start or join a neighborhood watch. Strangers usually stick out in a neighborhood and should be reported immediately to police.
- Make your house look occupied when you are gone. Burglars are much less likely to consider a house they feel is occupied.
- Lock your doors and windows Even when you are gone for a short period of time. Summertime presents a huge temptation to leave doors or windows open. Don’t give in to the temptation. I have seen so many garage doors open only one or two feet to let the heat out-just enough to let a burglar in.
Many police departments as a public service will offer advice on how to make your home more secure. Call for availability in your area.
There are several simple things you can do to make your home less prone to intrusion by a burglar. Start with an assessment on how to make your home well lit, more secure, and in the event of an entry-how to make it very noisy. Light, time, and noise are the enemies of the professional burglar.
About the Author
Burglar Proof Your Home Today!
Your Ultimate Home Security Tips & Advice
(ArticlesBase SC #1569736)
Article Source: http://www.articlesbase.com/ – Home Security – 3 Fast Steps to Burglar Proof Your Home Today!